Monday, September 20, 2010

Eavesdropping on a Conversation

My teacher wants us to do ambiguously criminal behavior and listen in on conversations not involving us! Hooray, because if a teacher says we can do it, it's morally right.

Background: The characters of my mom and Alison have not talked to each other in two days, due to both being busy. They finally have a chance to talk.

Setting: My sister's party.

Mom: Hello?
Alison: Hi. How are you?
Mom: Good. How are you?
Alison: Good.
Mom: How are you feeling.
Alison: [Sigh] A little sick.
Mom: Oh...
Alison: How's {Jonathan}?
Mom: He's good.
Alison: And {my step-dad}?
Mom: He's alright.
Alison: And how's Gucci?
Mom: She's good, she's good. [Picks up crochet needles, holds up yarn.]
Alison: [scratches her left arm with her right arm.]
[Awkward silence]

I was amazed by this conversation. It gave me a good look into the minds of my family, and how their actions shape the world around them. It was a spectacular conversation.

And here's another conversation.

Background and Setting: These two kids (males, estimated ages to be around ten-twelve) on the bus were talking. They are sitting in seats adjacent to one another.

Boy 1: Dude, I got the game.
Boy 2: Which one?
Boy 1: The new Kingdom Hearts game-
Boy 2: Oh, yeah, yeah... [Dusts off his left shoulder] What's it like?
Boy 1: Oh, uh...The graphics are good...Not a lot of good sound, uh... [Pause, possibly for dramatic tension]
Boy 2: Oh, okay...
Boy 1: So yeah.
Boy 2: Yeah.
Boy 1: See that movie, with the thing?
Boy 2: The thing?
Boy 1: Uh, the movie with the cops and the...the thing.
Boy 2: No, I didn't. But which film?
Boy 1: Never mind.
[Bus stops suddenly, both lurch forward]
Boy 2: Woah!
Boy 1: I know, right? [chuckle] But yeah, how was your weekend?
Boy 2: It was good, I guess. How's yours?
Boy 1: Good, good.
[After four stops Boy 2 gets off the bus]

I was shocked by this conversation, but intrigued by its simplicity, with a lack of underlying themes.

1 comment:

  1. These conversations need to be fleshed out a bit more.

    The judgmentally critical tone at the top of the post is off putting. Perhaps an opinion can be offered without such harsh undertones. Nothing about this assignment is "criminal".

    ReplyDelete